Have you and your Little One(s) been invited to a christening or baptism and you don't what your kids should wear to the event?
If so, this article is your go-to guide for choosing the perfect outfit, whether it's for baby boys or baby girls.
Attending my nephew's christening in the Spring of 2023 was an absolute joy, the event was held in Chelsea, London, at The Oratory.
The church was beautifully adorned with flowers and candles, setting a serene yet celebratory atmosphere for the special occasion.
Family and friends wore their Sunday best; my sister looked radiant, and my nephew was adorable in his christening gown.
I particularly enjoyed watching the little ones interact with each other, their innocent curiosity shining through. Their presence not only made the day enjoyable but also filled it with memorable moments that we'll cherish for years to come.
Overall, it was a touching experience that reminded me of the importance of family and tradition.
Question is - what do your kids wear?
- What's the Social Norm With Invited Children's "Dress Code"
- Choosing the Right Outfit Crucial for a Christening or Baptism
- What Are the Classic Choices for Baby Boys and Girls?
- How to Pick the Right Fabric and Material?
- What Accessories Complete a Christening or Baptism Outfit?
What's the Social Norm With Invited Children's "Dress Code"
The dress code at a christening can be a significant aspect of the event, as it's often viewed as a formal or semi-formal religious ceremony.
However, the level of formality can vary depending on the wishes of the family and the setting for the event.
Here are some more detailed considerations:
- Dresses: A knee-length or longer dress is often the go-to choice for women. It's best to avoid anything too flashy, short, or revealing, as you'll be attending a religious ceremony.
- Skirt and Blouse: A skirt paired with a modest blouse can also be appropriate. As with dresses, it's usually better to opt for a more conservative style. A cute pleated skirt for young girls could be a good fit here.
- Pantsuits or Slacks and Blouses: While dresses and skirts are more traditional, many modern christenings are perfectly accepting of women wearing appropriate pantsuits or dress slacks and a blouse.
- Boys: A mini suit, or at least a dress shirt and slacks, is common for little boys. Some families go all out with a full suit and tie, especially if the child is of an age to be a part of the ceremony (like an older sibling).
- Girls: Young girls often wear dresses, sometimes even gowns that resemble the baby's christening gown. Modest, age-appropriate dresses are generally the safest bet.
Shoes and Accessories
- Shoes: Closed-toe, formal shoes are generally the norm. Men might wear leather dress shoes, while women might opt for modest heels or flats.
- Hats and Fascinators: In some cultures or settings, women may also wear hats or fascinators, although this is less common in many places.
- Jewelry: Keep it simple and understated. This is not the occasion for flashy or ostentatious jewelry.
Colors and Patterns
- Neutral or Pastel Tones: Because it's a religious and generally formal event, neutral or pastel tones are often considered the most appropriate.
- Avoid Black: Unless specified by the hosts, black may be considered too somber for the celebratory aspect of a christening.
- Prints and Patterns: Simple patterns like stripes or florals can be appropriate, but it’s best to avoid anything too loud or distracting. The except here would be for flower girl dresses, but that's an entirely different topic!
When in doubt, it's always a good idea to ask the family for guidance. Some families may have specific wishes or traditions that they would like guests to honor.
Choosing the Right Outfit Crucial for a Christening or Baptism
The outfit worn during a christening or baptism is not just another set of baby clothes; it's a significant part of the ceremony.
This special occasion marks an important milestone in a baby's life, often involving religious or spiritual rites. The outfit becomes a keepsake, sometimes even passed down through generations.
Selecting the right outfit ensures that your baby looks adorable while also being comfortable.
Whether it's a boy's baptism or a girl's christening, the outfit should be appropriate for the venue and the formality of the event.
Remember, these moments will be captured in photos that you'll cherish forever, so you'll want to make sure your little one is dressed to impress.
When it comes to celebrating the significant milestones of your newborn baby boy, choosing the right outfit can make all the difference in making the occasion even more special.
Whether you're gearing up for a christening, baptism, or even a formal wedding party, there are various options to consider in boy's clothing.
For example, baby boy christening outfits often come in sets that may include not just a christening romper but also a matching waistcoat and hat.
On the other hand, if you're looking for a baby boy baptism outfit, you might opt for a baptism gown or perhaps a more modern baptism outfit set that includes suspender pants and a white organic cotton knit christening baptism short-sleeve romper.
What Are the Classic Choices for Baby Boys and Girls?
When it comes to classic choices for baby boys and girls, you have several options:
- Gown: A christening gown is a traditional choice that works well for both boys and girls. These gowns can range from simple cotton designs to elaborate silk pieces with lace and embroidery.
- Romper: A baptism romper is a more modern and casual option. For boys, you might find rompers in white cotton or linen, while girls' rompers may feature lace or floral designs.
- Suits and Dresses: For a formal look, boys can wear a suit, often complete with a waistcoat and bowtie. Girls might wear a special christening dress, which can be as simple or as ornate as you like.
- Suspender Pants or Skirts: These are trendy options that add a cute flair to the outfit. Boys might wear suspender pants with a short-sleeve shirt, while girls could wear a skirt with suspenders over a blouse.
Each of these outfits has its own charm and is suitable for different types of ceremonies, from formal to casual.
Remember to be comfortable!
Comfort is essential, especially for newborn baptisms or christenings of baby boys.
Short sleeve rompers are ideal for warmer climes, whilst a long sleeve white christening baptism dress is ideal for chilly temperatures.
Look for breathable fabrics to make your newborn boy comfortable whether you choose a formal ring bearer tuxedo dress suit or a basic white suit.
Don't forget about the accessories; a matching set with a hat or bowtie might be the finishing touch to the perfect ensemble.
How to Pick the Right Fabric and Material?
The fabric of the baptism or christening outfit is crucial for ensuring the baby's comfort.
Cotton baby outfits are generally the most comfortable and breathable. For a more luxurious feel, you might opt for a silk gown or a cotton knit christening baptism gown.
White is the traditional color for these ceremonies, symbolizing purity and innocence. However, off-white, cream, or even light pastel colors are also acceptable in many cases.
What Accessories Complete a Christening or Baptism Outfit?
Accessories can add a special touch to a baptism or christening outfit. Here are some ideas:
- Bib: A matching bib can protect the outfit from any spills or drool, especially useful for infants.
- Booties or Shoes: Soft booties can complete the look, especially if the ceremony is in a colder setting. For older babies, a pair of formal shoes might be appropriate.
- Hat or Bonnet: A matching hat or bonnet can be a cute addition, especially for outdoor ceremonies.
- Gold Cross and Hat: For a more traditional look, a gold cross and a hat can be added to the outfit.
Remember, the key is to keep it simple and not to overwhelm the outfit with too many accessories.
- The baptism or christening outfit is a significant part of the special day, symbolizing purity and serving as a keepsake.
- Classic outfit choices for baby boys and girls include gowns, rompers, suits, and suspender pants or skirts.
- Opt for breathable and comfortable fabrics like cotton or silk.
- Accessories like bibs, booties, and hats can add a special touch but should not overwhelm the outfit.
- Specialty stores, online retailers, and custom options offer a wide selection of outfits for both boys and girls.
Whether it's a simple cotton romper or an elaborate silk gown, the right outfit will make the baptism or christening a truly special occasion for your baby boy or girl.
Lastly - we hope you enjoy your event!