The Next Generation
1: How Mika & Milo Started
In many ways, Aiko's own foray into this field was inevitable.
After originally training as a broadcast journalist with the BBC World, CNN, and CNBC Europe and later contributing to the Huffington Post about climate change for 8 years she joined the family business over a decade ago.
And, when she was pregnant with Milo (below), she struggled to find the perfect cashmere blanket, finding them either too thin or too small.
Aiko & Milo, 2018
2: Why Cashmere?
What started out as a desire to make cosy baby blankets gradually evolved into a larger kids cashmere collection named after her own two kids: Mika & Milo.
- As it is naturally breathable, it is perfect for little babies as it helps them to regulate their temperatures as they move from being outside in the cold to the warmth of the indoors.
- Plus, did you know that it is up to 8 times warmer than wool even though it is so much lighter?
- And, if cared for properly, cashmere is incredibly durable, making it the perfect hand-me-down fibre in this age of much needed sustainability.
- And for AW23, we are introducing our organic cotton/cashmere range. It is a more affordable everyday collection which your Little Ones can wear whilst rolling around in the park, climbing up trees and making bases out in the woods. Plus, if a dollop of ketchup falls on it during a fish-finger session, no need to panic: simply pop it in the wash on a delicate cool setting after a hard day of play.
- Did you know that organic cotton is also softer and more durable than its conventional cousin? That makes it a win for your Little One and the sibling, cousin or friend who will inherit their jumper.
- And, you can have peace of mind knowing that far less water and carbon emissions were released making it.
- It is also better for the farmers who grow as it it does not use any chemicals, leaving their water supplies clean.
- PLUS, as it is largely made up for GOTS certified organic cotton, you can rest assured knowing that the 'organic cotton' content is over 90% certified organic cotton. Although MIKA & MILO is not GOTS certified yet, our yarn supplier very much is and we are working on becoming GOTS certified ourselves.
3: Buying Less & Choosing Well
At MIKA & MILO we strongly believe in making in buying less and choosing well.
We therefore strive to make beautiful sustainable pieces which will last so that they can be passed down from sibling to sibling, cousin to cousin and ultimately, generation to generation.
What could possibly be nicer than for your own kids to pass down their cashmere hand-me-downs to their own Little Ones?
After all, there is No Planet B. And, surely our Little Ones, and the Earth which they will inherit, deserve only the best?
Mika & Milo, 2020
Why We Love Cashmere & Organic Cotton